I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allen Poe

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken

Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so
-Bertrand Russell

What I have been telling you, from alpha to omega, what is the one great thing the sigil taught me — that everything in life is miraculous. For the sigil taught me that it rests within the power of each of us to awaken at will from a dragging nightmare of life made up of unimportant tasks and tedious useless little habits, to see life as it really is, and to rejoice in its exquisite wonderfulness. If the sigil were proved to be the top of a tomato-can, it would not alter that big fact, nor my fixed faith. No Harrowby, the common names we call things by do not matter — except to show how very dull we are ...
-James Branch Cabell

January 22, 2013 - 5:58 p.m.

School's in for The Winter

I meant to write about the inauguration and maybe atheism today but I have to write kvetch about the first day of school first. Before that I have to write about Sunday.

I was really looking forward to therapy. There was something I really wanted to talk about and wasn't able to talk to anyone about it and it isn't something I can blog to the world about. I wasn't really using her as a therapist, just someone I could tell a story to. Now yes I know there much the same thing. But my mental health had nothing to do with why I wanted to talk about it. I think I might be a fun patient. I'm not sure how to judge that but I know I'm amusing myself.

I've come to the realization that fun food after therapy is part of the therapy. I used one of my phone apps to find a new place to eat. I found Dogmatic a fancy hot dog place. Follow the link to see what they have. It's homemade sausages encased in a baguette. I had the grass-fed beef cheddar jalapeo sauce and unfried fries. It was delicious and the service was very fast. The timing for The Hobbit just wasn't good so I didn't see it. I might try on Friday or Saturday. Once again anyone want to join me? It would have to be early. I'm getting up early for the WFUV pledge drive.

I went to Staples before dinner to pick up some school supplies. I realize that I forgot to check if my classroom had a chalkboard. If it did I needed to buy chalk as my wonderful school does not give us access in the morning to the supplies. That is no way to run a school. I bought a 13 pocket organizer for my papers. I had been using plastic letter size wallets and a portfolio for each class but they started falling apart and I decided to try this out. It seems to working nicely.. Now each class gets six sleeves Two are for attendance, blanks and filled in. the rest are for handouts. The thirteen is for my teaching notes in blue test booklets.I might modify the system a bit. I need at least three for handouts, one for quizzes I'm giving, one for quizzes I'm returning and a third for a handout on new material. Today I had two handouts so I was thinking I need four but I might try and make do with three and keep the last for old materials.

I headed back to Brooklyn after that but treated myself to a super chocolate cupcake and Connecticut Muffin on the walk back from the train. That's took care of my sweet tooth.

Today I planned my trip to school perfectly with Google Maps. I have lots of options where to change trains and which train to switch to, and it found the way with the shortest waits. I didn't wait at all for the transfer. I walked on the platform and the train arrived. I had my first sausage egg and cheese sandwich from my street vendor of the semester. It was great. I screwed up and didn't put money in my school account so I had to pay full price for my coffee at the food service. I normally get 30% off. They switched from Dunkin' Donuts to Starbucks. I prefer Dunkin'.

I got to fight the cold today. It was in the teens with a wind chill in the single digits. Right now it is 18 with a wind chill of 10. I love that. I have warm clothing and I get to enjoy it. I wore my silk long underwear, a wood sweater and my wood and fleece hat from Nepal with my new winter coat. I was positively toasty. The hat is so warm I didn't need my hood. I could use a warmer pair of gloves. I might have to buy one. What I don't have available are my Herman Survivor boots and thermal socks. As the boots are well over 20 years old I might have to buy new ones. The one thing I held ir reserve today was wearing a second pair of long underwear. The silk is so think I can wear two pair under my pants. The magical thing is that I don't get hot when I'm inside with them. I love silk.

My finite math class was fine except the dry erase board is far too small. I have to erase every two minutes. Other than that things went smoothly. I was very happy with my rapport with the class.

The Chronklepts attacked in force today. I have a three hour break between classes and didn't have time to blog or even eat a proper lunch. They must have gone to a special training retreat during the winter break and come back stronger than ever.

A student came in and asked to be added to my precalculus class even though it was full. I told him I'd have to check the room capacity. The class has 30 students. The room capacity is 28. Isn't the school brilliant? They don't routinely check to make sure that the class can fit in the room. Good thing I checked. I told the admin and he called and had it changed. A half hour before class I went to check what room I was in and saw that they had already changed the room. The admin told me that they emailed the students. It was changed an hour before class, who is checking their email? I asked if he could have a sign put up on the old room telling the students where to go. He told me I had to do it myself. There went my lunch break. I made the sign on word, got some tape, and went to the original room which is in a different building from the new one. Some students were already was waiting there. I told them what happened and sent them to the new room. I grabbed a hot sausage from a street vender for lunch. I didn't want that but it's right out front and it was all I had time for.

The bright side is that the new room is the best in the school. It's the biggest lecture room and more importantly has the biggest dry erase board. As a bonus the dry erase board actually works and I don't need the cleaning fluid and special rag.

The nicest thing is that four of my old students are in it. They had a choice and wanted me as their teacher. Not coincidentally they are students I liked.

Now when am I going to write about the other stuff? Maybe when I get home. I have to get up at 4 AM tomorrow. That's a full hour earlier than when I lived in Bayside and had a car. Now I'm going to eat dinner and head home. I'll see if Whole Foods has something interesting even though I might be boycotting them because the owner supports right wing causes and called Obamacare fascism. If I hadn't had sausage twice today and once yesterday and once the day before I'd get bangers and mash at the Irish Pub. Maybe I'll see what my phone can come up with. Maybe it will just be Wendy's. It is of course too late to see the Hobbit. I must be in bed by 10 PM.

Brother Brothers in Arms - October 01, 2017
Late to Bed and Late to Rise - September 30, 2017
On Your Feet or On Your Knees - September 29, 2017
Why Life Doesn't End on Closing Day - September 28, 2017
Anna and King of I Am - September 27, 2017

creative commons
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License.
Horvendile January 22, 2013
site search by freefind advanced

Follow on Feedly

about me - read my profile! read other DiaryLand diaries! recommend my diary to a friend! Get your own fun + free diary at DiaryLand.com!